Posts

Historic Mass at St Teilo’s Church – St Fagan’s Museum

Although this post is a little over due never the less it is still important.

On Saturday 7th February 2015, Father Gareth Jones celebrated a Missa Cantata (Sung Mass) in the Extraordinary Form of the Holy Roman Rite was offered in the pre-reformation church of St Teilo which is located in St Fagan’s Museum Cardiff. The Mass was well attended with over 60 in the congregation. Father William Isaac, the Parish Priest of St Teilo’s, Whitchurch sat in choir along with Mr Robert James, a seminarian for the Archdiocese of Cardiff. The Mass celebrated was a votive Mass for the Feast of St Teilo, who’s feast is normally celebrated on 9th February.

Thank you to all who helped to organise this Mass in any way. It really was a very solemn day indeed.

another article and photographs have been added to the New Litugical Movement website. Click here.

[wc_box color=”info” text_align=”left”]

History of the Church – from www.museumwales.ac.uk

StTeilosSt Teilo’s church is believed to have been built during the late 12th or 13th century on the site of an earlier Celtic church. Over the ensuing centuries the building was altered and extended.

The oldest parts of the present structure are the nave and chancel. During the 14th century, small chapels were built onto the north and south sides of the chancel, and during the late 14th or early 15th century the church’s capacity was increased by the addition of an aisle to the south side of the nave. The old south wall was replaced by two arches, with a third arch opening into the chancel, and finally, a porch was added to the entrance door leading into the south aisle of the church.

The roof timbers are of typical early fifteenth century design (arch-braced collar-beams), though they may in fact be slightly later in date. The west wall of the nave was altered in the early 18th century (datestone 1736) and in 1810 the interior was furnished with box pews and a three-decker pulpit. Most of the stone-mullioned windows appear to have been blocked up at this time, and were replaced by new ‘Georgian gothic’ lancet-shaped windows. One original two-light stone-mullioned window (14/15th) survived in the south aisle. Probably the oldest surviving feature of the church is the stone font which is believed to date from the 13th century or earlier.

St Teilo’s church has been refurbished as it may have appeared about the year 1530, complete with all the elements associated with a late medieval Catholic church, including a rood screen and loft (between the nave and chancel), altars, carvings and brightly-coloured paintings on all the walls.

[/wc_box]

Photo: Dr David A Woolf

image

Photos: Mr Damien Dellon

 

Annual Requiem Mass Celebrated at the Chaplaincy

The Annual Requiem Mass for the deceased members of the LMS, the faithful who were attached to the Extraordinary Form and all the Holy Souls in Purgatory was celebrated by Father Gareth Jones on Thursday 20th December at Cardiff Catholic Chaplaincy. A relic was placed upon the Altar before Holy Mass, which was a relic of Blesséd John Henry Newman, although you may not see this from the photographs. Please see the gallery below for photographs of the Mass and Absolutions at the Catafalque.

Photographs taken by Mr Patrick Smalley
Used with permission

Annual Requiem Mass

imageOur annual Requiem Mass will take place at the chaplaincy on Thursday 20th November 2014 at the earlier time of 5.45pm. Please make a note of this change.

If you know anyone who is not on email or the Internet who would like to come along please let them know it is taking place in the chapel. For directions please visit our ‘Mass Times’ page.

Father Jones will be the celebrant (Low Requiem Mass).